See your pet on 
Petly!  As your pet's personal health page, Petly is a special place for you and your pet.  You're just one click away!

People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet
Many of the foods that we consume and enjoy are very dangerous for our pets. If your pet ingests any of the items on this list, you should immediately seek advice from a veterinarian.

Alcohol: beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.

Avocado: the leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avacados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Birds and rodents are especially sensitive to avacado poisoning, and can develop congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart. Some ingestions may even be fatal.

Bones: should not be given to your pet, especially chicken or pork bones. Bones can splinter and become lodged in your pet's throat or if swallowed, could cause a laceration in the digestive system.

Chocolate, Coffee, Tea: all contain Theobromine, which can affect the heart and nervous system. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are more dangerous than milk chocolate or White chocolate.

The severity of problems after eating chocolate will depend on your pet's weight, the amount, and type of chocolate ingested.

Chocolate ingestion can cause diarrhea and vomiting, panting, restlessness or hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors, seizures, coma and even death.

Fat Trimmings and Gravy: along with other fatty foods can cause pancreatitis, a potentially life threatening condition.

Fish: (raw, canned or cooked) if fed exculsively or in high amounts can result in a B vitamin deficiency, specifically thiamine. This deficiency can lead to a loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases ... death.

Fruit Pits and Seeds: most contain Cyanogenic Glycosides and will result in cyanide poisoning. Pits may also become lodged in the intestinal tract. The fruit itself is safe to eat.

Grapes, Raisins and Currants: contain an unknown substance that is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.

Human Vitamins: especially those containing iron, can cause damage to the lining of the digestive system, and could also cause liver and kidney damage.

Macadamia Nuts: Aan unknown substance in these nuts may cause weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last approximately 12 to 48 hours.

Milk: our pets lack the amounts of lactase necessary to break down the lactose in milk. This will result in a gassy pet with probable diarrhea in it's future.

Nutmeg: can cause tremors, seizures and central nervous system damage.

Chihuahua eating from a dinner plate Onions and Garlic: (raw, cooked, or powder) contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs, and garlic is less toxic than onion.

Some dog food and treats may contain very small amounts of garlic which shouldn't cause any problems.

Moldy or Spoiled Food: can contain multiple toxins which may cause gastrointestinal upset, and could affect other organs.

Mushrooms: may contain toxins which could affect multiple systems in the body, resulting in shock and even death.

Raw Eggs and Raw Fish: may contain Salmonella. Raw eggs also contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems.

Raw Meat: may contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.

Table Scraps: will not provide your pet with proper nutrients and should never be more than 10% of it's diet. Be sure to trim fat from meat, and do not feed bones.

Xylitol: is a sweetener used in many products such as gum, candy, and toothpaste. It can cause hypoglycemia and symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. It could also result in liver failure.

Yeast Dough: will produce gas and swell in your pet's stomach, causing the stomach or intestines to rupture.